Monday, January 05, 2009

A disappearing practice

Such a strange experience today. Someone who wanted to see some of my stories asked me (admittedly by email) to send them in hard copy form to his home address! It's such a long time since I had to go through that process - printing the things out along with a letter (which involved running for more paper to feed the printer), weighing the package, finding stamps and sticking them on and carrying it up to the post office through the frosty afternoon... I felt like a character in a Dickens novel, or at least I felt like my five-years-younger self. It took half the afternoon: I started after lunch, and it was getting dark by the time I came home (though I have to admit I called in to the charity shops and bought myself a beautiful silk Karen Millen blouse for next to nothing!). How different from just pressing a button...!

Of course, some mags still only consider snail mail submissions, but they're in the minority. How the world changes...

2 comments:

Andrew Philip said...

Plenty poetry mags are still hard copy only, unfortunately! Perhaps they think it'll dissuade frivolous and vexatious submissions, but I sincerely doubt it.

Elizabeth Baines said...

Ah yes, poetry mags, I wasn't counting them...